A Sweet Friendship

 

Recently, while on the air, I got a text from a friend’s number.  As we engaged in the issues of the day, live on air, my phone sitting across the console lit up.  Usually my cell sits quietly while I’m Live From Seattle.   This day, the table it sat upon vibrated and these words flashed across the screen, “Lori has passed…”  It was a text from a long-time friend’s phone.  Her sister sent this chilling message to her friends.   My friend was gone, succumbed to her fight with ALS.   Shocked, I wept during the break and paid honor to her on the air.  I have to admit; one of my first thoughts was, “I wish I had been there more for her in her final days.”  It is a reminder that every day is precious and that, “A sweet friendship refreshes the soul.”  (Proverbs 27:9)

 

Yesterday, on the program, as we contemplated the science of happiness, we talked about The Surprising Link between the people we choose to associate with and our own happiness.  Happiness is a rare commodity in our society, today.  Time reported in June on the state of happiness in our nation saying, “It’s been a rough year for the American psyche. Folks in the U.S. are more unhappy today than they’ve been in nearly 50 years.  The COVID Response Tracking Study, conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago finds that just 14% of American adults say they’re very happy.

 

The most important personal relationship that drives a deep happiness is our relationship with God.  That connection builds a joy within that sustains in all circumstances even when there seems to be little to find happiness in.  It is a, “Peace of God, which transcends all understanding,” and guards your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7).  In these trying times and in all times what a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear.  Jesus says, “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”  And oh, “How a sweet friendship that refreshes the soul.” (Proverbs 27:9)

 

Today Live From Seattle presents Health Watch Wednesday, we’ll get up dated on C19 news, the health of our city and nation and ways to strengthen our bodies and souls.  As I contemplate the God story in all of this; I do see that a sweet friendship refreshes the soul.  Proverbs 17:17 comes to mind, “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”  God is my friend, he is my refuge and my strength, an, “Ever-present help in times of trouble.” (Psalm 46:1).  As many Americans are succumbing to the troubles of the day; we have an ever-present help, a friend born for adversity.  We also have a powerful calling to be a friend to others in their adversity.  Yes, a sweet friendship refreshes the soul!

 

HEALTH NEWS WORTH A MENTION:

l Tattoo-like drawings on your skin might be able to monitor your health

 

l Telemedicine Abortion Gets Green Light From Federal Court

 

lDemand for robot cooks rises as kitchens combat COVID-19

 Sugar is cancer’s best friend: Research reveals how it feeds tumors

 

l Microplastics are EVERYWHERE: Yes, even in your gut and the food you eat, warn scientists

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BAD DOG

LOVE COVERS